This is an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander identified position under section 50D of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984 - meaning only Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are eligible to apply.
To apply please send us:
a letter of no more than 1 page that tells us why your skills, experience and interest make you the right person for the job, and
- your resume/CV, and
2 referees (at least 1 professional/job referee).
We encourage you to call our Sales and Office Manager, Nicole Drage, to have a chat before applying on (08) 9192 1991, or you can email any queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing Date for Applications: 5pm Friday 17 September 2021.
Applications may be emailed to email@example.com or submitted via Seek.
Position Context / Summary
The Administration Officer is the first point of contact for the publishing house and Broome-based bookshop.
- Retail operation: customer service, sales, stock maintenance and shop presentation.
- Web sales: processing and posting orders.
- Local wholesale orders.
- Administration support for the sales team and other teams within Magabala as required.
- Support the Sales and Office Manager as required.
We are seeking someone who is positive, practical and organised and works well in a team. They will be a good communicator, have good administration skills and the ability to learn quickly. The successful candidate will have:
- attention to detail
- good computer skills and the ability to pick up new software systems easily
- an interest in books and/or Indigenous enterprise
- a full driver’s licence is required
- the ability to safely lift boxes of books, up to 15 kg each.
Position Details and Package
- 75 hours per fortnight not including lunch and other breaks, between the hours of 8.15am and 5.00pm Monday – Friday or as otherwise required by the CEO.
- Out of hours work may be required occasionally (for Magabala events).
Salary: between $55,000 and $65,000, subject to skills and experience, plus superannuation.
- 5 weeks annual leave per annum, plus 17.5% annual leave loading on base salary, 1 extra public holiday day per year.
- 12 month’s service bonus of $1000 before tax, pro rata full-time.
- Salary sacrifice packaging available at the discretion of the employee. Up to approximately $18550 of your before-tax salary may be salary sacrificed. See https://www.accesspay.com.au/.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide a welcoming environment with a courteous and efficient first impression for all customers and authors, including communications in person, via phone and email enquiries.
- Maintaining cleanliness and tidiness of reception and retail area.
- Answering, forwarding and screening phone calls and messages.
- Receiving and relaying emails to other staff as relevant.
- Maintaining the monitoring the answering machine.
- Observing staff members’ movement’s e.g. out of office
- Receiving, sorting, recording and distributing mail.
- Receiving deliveries: open, record, stamp and distribute as required to relevant staff.
- Assist in the preparation of Magabala events, promotions and meetings.
- Maintenance of databases, including visitor and teacher newsletter subscribers.
- Contribute to cleanliness and tidiness of Magabala Books premises.
- Provide high level customer service including, where possible, assisting customers to find items, and processing sales. Requires familiarisation with our books in order to promote them.
- Answer customer queries and where appropriate seek assistance from relevant staff for more complex queries.
- Maintain stock levels in retail and packing room. Contribute to stock levels maintenance, and the tidiness of the book storage area at both the Magabala office and the Blue Haze storage unit.
- Monitor stock levels of non-Magabala stock in the shop and support the Sales and Office Manager with stock ordering and reporting on sales.
- Create and maintain attractive retail displays.
- Maintain general cleanliness, tidiness and appearance of retail area, both internal and external.
- Labelling retail stock.
- Process retail sales in store, and via phone and email, using the PoS systems including Vend, EFTPOS and Xero accounting software.
- Enter new stock and products into POS software (VEND/Shopify).
- Package up orders, record in electronic post system and dispatch to customer.
- Pick up stock and deliver stock as required – role requires ability to lift and transport boxes, up to 15 kilos for each box. This role involves physical activity, including lifting boxes of books, 1 box at a time, or moving multiple boxes using equipment such as trollies and within OHS guidelines.
- Balance POS system and EFTPOS machine at end of each day, close and secure shop.
- Manage and implement stock control systems under direction of the Sales and Office Manager, including quarterly stock-take.
- Report discrepancies or problems to Sales and Office Manager.
Processing Web Orders and Wholesale Orders
- Processing web orders, including packing and posting of orders;
- Processing wholesale orders as requested by the Sales and Office Manager.
- Administration support for other teams within Magabala, including mail out of books to media, scanning, shredding and filing.
- Contributing to a clean office environment and surrounds.
- Contribute to the smooth running of the publishing house and work as a team member to achieve a harmonious working environment.
- This role may have the opportunity to contribute to other areas of the organisation, including marketing and special projects.
- Other duties as directed by the Sales and Office Manager, or CEO.
Note: this role does not have any publishing or editorial duties.
Skills, experience and personal qualities
We are seeking an individual who:
- has an interest in Indigenous literature, arts and culture;
- is enthusiastic, polite, and courteous;
- has excellent customer service and communication skills;
- has great computer skills and ability to learn new software;
- has strong organisational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks under pressure;
- has good attention to detail;
- has the ability to perform accurate data entry and has good mathematical skills;
- has good writing skills, including correspondence (mainly email);
- has good team work and collaboration skills;
- has initiative;
- has knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal culture, particularly as it pertains to the Kimberley;
- is a fast learner, with a willingness to learn and receive constructive feedback;
- has an unrestricted driver’s licence;
- is able to safely lift a box of books of up to 15 kilos, and move multiple boxes using equipment, and in accordance with OHS procedures;
- is willing to participate in formal training if required.
Experience in 2 or more of the following areas would be an advantage:
- Retail and use of point of sale (POS) systems.
- Bookkeeping / data entry/ strong numeracy skills
- Microsoft Office Suite, and in particular excel
About Magabala Books
Magabala Books is Australia’s leading and only independent, Indigenous publishing house. Since 1987, we have balanced our relationship to Country and Culture with our status as a national publisher. Based in Broome, Western Australia, we publish Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander storytellers, authors, artists and illustrators from all over Australia.
We currently publish 15–20 titles per year, including children’s picture books, junior and young adult fiction, adult fiction, memoir, non-fiction and poetry. Our books and authors have received national and international recognition through literary awards, rights sales and at writers’ festivals. In 2020, we were awarded Small Publisher of the Year at the Australian Book Industry Awards.
Magabala’s strong cultural foundations and commitment to developing new and emerging Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander writers, illustrators and one-time storytellers, sets us apart from other publishers. Magabala is highly regarded for its professional development for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander writers and illustrators.