Wiradjuri child, Solonaima, with her Small Seeds book ABC Dreaming, photo courtesy of the Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency.
Our Small Seeds program supports early childhood literacy and ensures children across Australia have access to culturally relevant books they love.
‘Small Seeds is such a deadly program and we’re incredibly grateful. All four of our rooms now have stacks of new books by blackfulla Authors and Illustrators.’ Yappera Children’s Service, Melbourne.
Small Seeds is a philanthropic initiative where 100% of donations go directly to purchasing and delivering book packs to organisations where children may have limited access to books. Books that:
- children can take home, where they may have few or no books
- parents and carers can read with their children
- are relevant to Indigenous children, and
- increase young people’s understanding of Indigenous culture.
Requests come from playgroups, early childhood centres, parenting programs, out of home care facilities, women’s refuges, prison family support programs and many others.
Magabala’s ability to support requests for books is entirely dependent on the generosity of our donors.
In 2021, we gifted 2898 books through Small Seeds.
Example Small Seeds recipients:
NPY Women’s Council
Ngaanyatjarra Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Women’s Council (Aboriginal Corporation) of the western desert region is an organisation driven by women’s law and authority, the collective agency of women, and driven for all Anangu to have a good life. Through Small Seeds, Magabala donated books to the NPY Child and Family Wellbeing Service and Domestic and Family Violence teams.
Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency
The Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) is a state-wide Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation (ACCO) servicing children, young people, families, and community members. The VACCA early-childhood and playgroup programs were recipients of Small Seeds book packs in 2019 and 2020.
‘Reading teaches sharing and involvement. When someone reads to a child, they are exposing that child to more than just the words on the page; they are demonstrating speech patterns, the basics of how a book is read…and the joy that reading can bring.’ - Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency.
- Karratha Community House – Karratha, WA
- Gumala Aboriginal Corporation – with early childhood centres in Karratha, Roebourne, South Hedland, Marble Bar, Warralong and Wakuthuni, WA
- Marnin Bowa Dumbara Aboriginal Corporation – Derby, WA
- Little Nuggets Early Learning Centre – Halls Creek, WA
- Kununurra Neighbourhood House – Kununurra, WA
- Jalygurr Guwan Aboriginal Corporation – Broome, WA
- Baya Gawiy Early Learning Unit – Fitzroy Crossing, WA
- Yappera Children’s Service Co-op – Melbourne, VIC
- Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency – Melbourne, VIC
- Home-Start Program Baptcare – Bendigo, VIC
- ParentsNext Program Kullarri – Broome, WA
- Kadadjiny Waabiny Aboriginal Playgroup, Meerilinga Children’s Service – Perth, WA
- Aboriginal Community Development Team, City of Armadale – Outer regional Perth, WA
- Goldfield Girls Program, Goolarri Media – Broome, WA
- Kullari community home packs - One Arm Point, Djarindjin, Bidyadanga, Beagle Bay, WA
- Gunawirra: Aboriginal pre-school programs – Regional NSW
- Koorie Kids Playgroup, home packs VACCA – Werribee, VIC
- KindiLink program, Cable Beach – Broome, WA
- Wagga Aboriginal Women's Group – Wagga Wagga, NSW
- Banyule Community Health, Aboriginal Early Years Programs – Melbourne, VIC
- Albury Wodonga Aboriginal Health Service – Albury, NSW
- Aboriginal Legal Service – Perth, WA
- Marninwarntikura Women's Resource Centre – Fitzroy Crossing, WA
- Babagarra Nyirrwa Residential House – Broome, WA
- Aboriginal Medical Service – Mt Magnet, WA
- Operations Sunshine Children and Families crisis care packs – WA
- Yokai Maya Program Acacia Prison – WA
- PCYC Safe Space Program – Broome, WA
- Goolum Goolum Aboriginal Cooperative – Horsham, VIC
- Brewarrina Local Aboriginal Land Council and Dharriwaa Elders Group – Western NSW
- Re[ad]generate campaign by Kirli Saunders – books for fire and flood affected schools across NSW and VIC.
- KU Children's Centre Aboriginal Families program – Wagga Wagga, NSW.
- Shine For Kids, Belonging to Family Prison Program – Kempsey, NSW.
- Noongar Radio Koolangkas Kids Program - Perth, WA.
- Coota Girls Aboriginal Corporation, Survivors and Descendants - NSW.
- Morditj Noongar Community College - Perth, WA.
- First Nations Homelessness Project - Perth, WA.
- Nardine Wimmin's Refuge - Perth, WA.
- Braybrook Early Learning Centre - Braybrook, Melbourne VIC.
Think your organisation may be eligible for a Small Seeds book pack? Contact our Project Officer, Kate Rendell: email@example.com
Small Seeds is funded entirely by philanthropic support.